My friend Scott recently sent me an original composition for Drum Corps that he’s been working on. Really great stuff and I was impressed with his ability to handle the various sonorities of that type of group so adeptly. In listening to his piece I was reminded of an old exercise I put myself through about 15 years ago. I set out to write a piece in the style of Mozart but allow myself some freedom when it came to harmonies. I haven’t listened to it in a decade and a half. It’s been sitting as a Finale file on my hard drive since then. Well, as a result of another insomnia night last night and very early morning, I broke open that file and re-listened to it and I have to say I’m very happy with the results. Of course, that was with Finale playing it in all its computerish glory. Identical note velocities, exact rhythm, absolutely abysmal musicality etc. No “human” feel to it at all. But still, I’m really happy with the raw material.
So I’ve decided to format and print the thing (currently around 800 measures) and have a go at playing each part into Logic using vastly updated and more professional sounds. I’d like to get it all nice sounding and post it to YouTube or here on the blog. Anybody interested and I’ll send you a PDF of the score. Just a fun little piece I did over a few days that I feel like I should actually get out into the world.