The Big Think

April 20, 2016

Horseshoe Update

Filed under: The R2 Project — jasony @ 10:11 pm

In the great-news, slightly annoying news department, I went to Techshop today and bumped into the welding instructor (a super guy named Keith Wojcik who is one of the best welders in Austin). Great guy, great teacher, great welder.

IMG 2055

I showed him the part and asked him if it was even possible to weld it and he said “come here” and wandered back to the welding room. Back there he set up the TIG welder, described what needed to happen, and then just welded it for me right there. I couldn’t believe it. The aluminum was pretty dirty so the welds ended up a little messy (absolutely not Keith’s fault), but at the end all seven layers were securely welded together. Success (so far).

IMG 2056

It’s a tack weld job and will be ground down and cleaned up, but the layers are connected. I’ll also put a coating of Lab Metal between the welds to cover the layers and then grind/sand it down until it’s smooth.

Unfortunately (you knew this was coming), I think the screws were overheated when the aluminum got hot — and it got stupendously hot. It took more than 45 minutes for the aluminum to even be movable, and even then I had to wear leather gloves. Anyway, the screws got bound in the holes. I also think that the act of clamping the parts together compressed the threads in the holes and made the screws bind even tighter.

Sooooo… when I went to take the screws out they were extremely difficult to turn. Two of them came out with a little bit of effort. But that third one? The screw head just snapped right off. Nooooo!!!! Luckily there was still a little bit of thread showing so I got some Vice Grips after the little threaded leftover…… and promptly snapped that off as well, completely flush with the surface.

Well poop.

So I have to figure out how to remove that bloody screw. That stinking #$@#@^ screw. It’s so completely stuck in there that a normal screw remover probably won’t do the trick (though I have nothing to lose by trying). What I think I’ll end up having to do is slowly destroy the screw by drilling it out with progressively larger bits. I might have to enlarge the hole and put a #10 screw in there instead of the #8 that’s stuck, but that means enlarging the mating keyhole, which introduces alignment issues (which I’ll have to figure out a solution for). There’s also the risk of breaking the welds when I clamp it on the mill to remove the screw. UGH

But hey! One of the horseshoes is welded. Better yet, Keith told me that he’d weld whatever I need. He’s also going to teach me TIG. I took his MIG class again tonight and had fun. TIG is a whole different story. I get to learn from the master.

When I left the shop tonight one of the Techshop employees said “that’s why they call it a Herculean effort”. Every step has something go wrong.

Every. Single. Step.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Powered by WordPress