Tig welded up battery box #2 today. Complete success! I did some quick and dirty JB weld spots to hold the loose pieces together while I did the tack welds. Unfortunately, the JB melted in spectacular fiery fashion (complete with noxious fumes). Good thing we have vent hoods. Ick.
I did some fast reclamping and got the tack welds in. From that stressful step on, though, it was smooth sailing. Kind of contemplative and relatively easy. I also laid one bead down that looks as good as anything I’ve seen on the pro welding sites. For that 6″ I was a Weld Master. The rest of it wasn’t as pretty but will still do the job.
Also, I managed to get the hang of vertical welds! That’s huge as up to now I’ve had to figure out a way to position everything horizontally. Still not good at them but they’re not catastrophic fails.
So that makes all three ankles, both shoulder horseshoes, both legs, and both battery boxes welded up! Now I have to do the three feet over the next week or so. After that will come the grinding. Oh… the grinding. I’ll be at that for a long time. After the grinding I’ll have to go touch up some welds, but all the parts should look seamless.
Really pleased with my progress.